Tuesday 6 March 2012

Effective Blogging: How to encourage comments on your posts.

An issue that keeps on coming up is "How can I get people to comment on my blog?"

Tip 1:
Comment on others blogs...a lot!
If student no.1 goes onto their blog page and sees that student no.2 is frequently and consistently commenting on their posts, they will feel obliged and obligated to comment on theirs in return.

Tip 2:
Go out of your way to help.
When commenting on students posts, make your comments about them and their work. By all means relate it to your own work, but don't make it selfish. If the recipient of your comment finds it helpful and encouraging, again they will feel obliged to return the favour. "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours".

Tip 3: Subscribe to responses.
At the bottom of every comments page on every blog entry, there is a link that says "subscribe by email". By clicking this link, you receive an email every time somebody comments on that post. My advise: click that link on every single post you write or comment on. This way you will never miss a comment and you will be able to respond quickly, keeping the people who are commenting engaged.

Tip 4: Presence
It's extremely difficult, and all of us go through phases when our blog attendance is poor, but the best way to ensure you receive comments is to spend as much time as possible posting and commenting. If your presence within the blog community is strong, you will "trend" and become a popular person to interact with.

I hope those tips are helpful. Please let me know if they are, or indeed if they're not!

This is by no means a fail safe plan, but if you follow these tips it should generate more comments.

Thanks for reading,

Liam.

8 comments:

Ahmet Ahmet said...

Liam,

This post is so useful. I am in module one and seem to be struggling with my online rapports with other students. Its useful to have some guidance on how to create successful blog relationships...

Ahmet

Fione said...

Again another great idea Liam, thanx!
Although some are strikingly obvious it´s really good to see them black on white once more...I´m hoping we could get everyone from Module 2 connected on Facebook....what do you think...I think all of us are using it privately and it´s an easy way to pop out a question to another peer.....what do you think??
All the best!

Liam said...

Ahmet - glad it helped and I hope your blog relationships improve! It does take some time to get going.

Fione - It's a good idea. Hopefully through the Student Rep group we can achieve this...the more people involved in the group the more effective it will be!

Lisawhyte said...

Hey Liam

Extremely helpful, everyone should keep commenting and that way others should comment more. In Module 2 I am finding it easier because we have our SIGs so others are interested in what we are talking about. What is the facebook page?

Katharina Schell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katharina Schell said...

Hi Liam, yes, again, thank you very much! I didn't know that I could receive an email after I comment on a blog. I found it hard to find answers to my comments, because I was curious if my ideas and suggestions have helped them. But now you gave my a good and easy solution!

So, the other theme is Facebook. I am there and a few other students of Module 2 too. But we are a very small group and the activities on the BAPP Group rise. Maybe there is a way that more people are involved in the Facebook activities.

Lemon Leaf said...

Liam, these tips are really useful thank you. I think tip 3 was the most helpful as I was always annoyed that you weren’t notified if someone commented on the same post as you, now I know you can be so that’s great.

Paula Nottingham said...

Thanks Liam - good practice to share.

Post a Comment